Sunday, February 13, 2005

Disturbed??!!

Perhaps it's just me. I find myself almost as disturbed at the left as I do the right. Generally I find myself siding with those who consider themselves left-leaning; but here recently all I hear about is how terrible the word American is. I find the continental types who of course have always resented us. Then there are the Arab types.......OK, maybe some of them have a reason or two. But what really has me lately is how many of us Americans are saying how much they hate us.

Where did it all go wrong? Where did the American that I wanted my kids to grow up in go? Is this truly the end of our era?

I guess my thoughts on where it when wrong begin with our education system. This is the real playground of the despot. Civic education in our country is appalling to say the least. And don't even get me started on our fearless leader's "No Child Learns to Think for Themselves" program. Abstinence based sexual education, creationism is the only truth but go ahead and tell them about Darwin's myth( as long as you explain that it is just that), and force them to recite the Pledge of Allegiance with God inserted for good measure; these are the teachings that will promote blind, rabid obedience to a dogma of fear and hatred in the next generation. But where is my proof you ask? This is the same worn out dogma that infests many of the Madrasas in the Middle East, Saudi Arabia in particular, where there is an overabundance of unemployed angry young men searching for someone to blame for their plight.

This is where our America is going. Is this where we want to take our posterity's future? I hear a lot of excuses. People say that it can't happen here. They say that these fears are just paranoia, and by the way what's wrong with inserting God into the Pledge of Allegiance? Mostly they just say "I don't want to deal with it today, I'm tired from working 10+ hours and I just wan't to sit on the couch and watch American Idol." Ok, maybe that wasn't a direct quote, but I didn't source it so it does not matter. What does matter is the content of the message. While I understand that education falls under the jurisdiction of the Executive Branch of the government I do not believe that it qualifies the supreme executive to decide the entire curriculum for the education of our children. For us as parents to allow such indulgence is madness. I understand that we are all tired, but we need to suck it up and quit letting decisions like these to be made in the hands of fanatics.

So what do we do? We get involved. We tell the schools, the teachers, the government bureaucrats that our childrens' minds are not fodder for their cannons. We tell them that it was not the intent of our founding fathers to allow them to hijack, lojack, inherit, or just plain defraud us and our posterity of the country that was bequeathed to us by our forefathers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mannning said...

Ah yes, education! All my life I have had strong ideas about this covering Kindergarten through high school. Having had my kids educated in Holland, except for my youngest's degree from George Mason in economics, was a very enlightening experience. They had learned more by far through high school than their contemporaries in the US, viz:

Languages: Latin, Greek, French, German, Dutch, English, (both speaking and writing them)

Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Elementary Physics, and Earth Geology (especially Dutch),

Mathematics: Algebra, Trigonometry,
Analytic Geometry, Differential and Integral Calculus,

History: Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and English, then Continental Europe and the World,

Citizenship: Dutch Government, Basic Law, Political Parties, Founding Documentation, Current Officeholders, Current Issues, and Alignments,

World Governments: The UN, English and American Systems, Russian System, Chinese System,

World Literature: Dutch and English primarily, German and French secondarily, in the original language.

There were other subjects, but I forget them now. When they graduated they were well-informed young ladies, they had a study habit and work ethic, were disciplined, and had little trouble getting through universities.

Holland has a multiple-track education system: as I remember it, there were four levels. My ladies went through the top level, even though handicapped early on by their lack of the Dutch language. This disappeared after six months.

To me, the education they received was first class,and I hold it up to the US as being an example of what education in the lower schools should be, and ultimately result in as a product. Of course, I would change the thrust to the US world!

Only in a few of our public schools would such a curriculum be followed, and only in a few private schools too! This is especially true for languages.

I have the impression that our schools of late are very lax by comparison.
A pity!

Sun Aug 28, 12:13:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home